|Grand Canyon India: Gandikota, Andhra Pradesh|
Interested For A Thrilling Journey And An Exotic Glory Of A Canyon?
Then Plan And Visit Now!
To Staggering And Breathtaking Grand Canyon India
Visiting the Grand Canyon USA is something that occupies every travelers' wish list, but unfortunately, not everyone is that lucky. For some it's out of reach because of financial constraints, visa and for others- lack of time.
But, what if we told you that it's possible for you to bask in the glory of a canyon right here in your own country?
Yes, It’s Gandikota In Andhra Pradesh
The picturesque Gandikota fort ruins- popularly known as the desi Grand Canyon, lies on the banks of the Penna river in Andhra Pradesh . The features of the fort include a gorge that stands at about 300 feet above the river and comprises 101 bastions, all over 40 feet high.
The fort was built in red granite stone, guarded by 20 feet high entry gate and enclosed by a fort wall which runs around the 5-mile perimeter, beautiful palaces with carvings so exquisite, perennial springs, old temples co-existing with a mosque.
Places To Visit In Gandikota
- Gandikota Jama Masjid
- Madhavaraya Temple
- Jama Masjid
- Ranganatha Swamy Temple
- Gandikota Fort View Point
- Fort Entrance
- Gandikota Gorge View Point
- Rayala Cheruvu
Other NearbyThrilling Places
|Rock Garden and Belum Caves|
Days Required: 2 to 3 days
- Besides all its historic sites, Gandikota and its surrounding areas also consist of a scenic site and viewpoints that will blow your mind away.
- You could either spend the whole day trekking across the fort ruins and go down the gorge towards the river or you could drive around the nearby villages to embrace the local culture.
- Even though, the fort is just a mere kilometres away from Muddanuru, the nearest railway station in Andhra Pradesh, if you're the adventurous kind- you might as well make it a roadtrip and drive from Hydrabad or through the scenic route from Bangalore.
- Don't miss the breathtaking view of the sunset from Gandikota!
Travel Plan And Route
From Hyderabad, the best touring circuit would be stopping in between at Kurnool to visit stunning “The rock garden” with beautiful natural igneous rock formations, “Belum Caves” and finally Gandikota
How To Reach
Route by car: Hyderabad ---> Kurnool ---> Orvakal ---> Belum Caves ---> Gandikota
By Bus and Trains
Nearest Railway station is 26 km away at Muddanuru(Railway code: MOO) in Kadapa Dist. There are number of trains from Gooty Jn. Nearest Town is Jammalamadugu. There are buses available from Jammalamadugu Old Bus Stand (Gandhi Statue Junction) to Gandikota. Inside the fort there is no means of transportation except to walk by foot. Ideal to engage a guide as the fort area is huge. There is a good downhill trek through the canyon that leads to the riverbed. There is a dam upstream (Gandikota Dam) and a dam downstream (Mylavaram Dam).
From Mumbai (Trains):
After an overnight rail journey from Mumbai, you reach Tadipatri by noon the next day.
Where To Stay
APTDC Haritha Resorts
Kurnool: DVR Mansion