|Pangong Tso Lake, Ladakh|
Ladakh known of high mountain passes is an extreme cold desert. In spite of this it is home to many beautiful lakes called Tso where you will love to dive, nowhere you will find in the world.
1. Pangong Tso Lake
The amazing facts about the lake
A. The high salt water lake in the world
The most famous lake in Ladakh is about 160 kms from Leh.
The Pangong lake is one of the beautiful places visit in India. Spread over an area of about 600 sq. Km, the lake is shared by India and China and 60% of it lies in the neighboring country. The alluring beauty of the lake and its natural scenic views make it seem like a landscape painted. Wow! It's much beautiful than any pic you have seen on the lake. Truly beautiful and the best part of the lake can be viewed in morning (3 am - 4am). A must visit place to feel the peace with the best eye candy on the earth.
B. The lake is in disputed territory
The line of actual control passes through the lake, 20 km of the east section of the lake is controlled by China, but claimed by India and the eastern part is in Tibet. Approximately 60% of the length of the lake lies in Tibet. After shooting of 3 Idiots (a hit Bollywood film), Pangong Lake came in picture of tourist. But it's really worth to visit here.
C. Migratory birds
The blue brackish water of the lake has very low vegetation. There are no fish or any other aquatic life, but the lake sees a high concentration of ducks and gulls. The bar-headed goose and Brahmini ducks are a common sight here.
D. No INP required to visit Pangong Lake
Before 2014, an Inner Line Permit was a necessity to visit the lake, but the law has been abolished for Indian nationals. So there is nothing stopping you from experiencing true peace and solitude at Pangong! To observe purity and divinity of the nature you must wake up very early and observe the sky changes with the changing colors of the lake.
2. Tso Moriri Lake
|Heavenly Tso Moriri Lake|
Another jewel in the crown of Ladakh is the Tsomoriri Lake. [Did you know that it is also known as the 'Mountain Lake'?] The lake is situated in Changthang Plateau, one of the highest and widest plateaus in the world is a among the must visit places in India
Some points on this trip:
- Make sure you stay for one night in Tso Moriri, but prepare yourself for the low temperature.
- The nomadic camp hotel gives a wonderful vegetarian dinner, don't miss it.
- Do not leave late from Leh, because you should not miss sunset here, the color of water changes here.
- Wake up at 5 am at Tso Moriri as the sun comes up very early and you can take nice pics at this time a well.
- Ask your driver to take to another part of the hill next to the camp, there is a road on the mountain, and it takes you to another corner, you can see a very beautiful scene from there.
- Make sure you have an identity proof also in case required by the Army when you reach this place.
4. Stat So – Lang So Twin Lakes, Zanskar Valley
Located just next to Penzi La pass at (The highest Peak) an altitude of 14000 feet, the highest point on the Kargil – Zanskar road, the reflection in these twin lakes Stat Tso and Lang Tso will surely blow you off your feet. The vistas surrounded by snow clad mountains, just a touch away from you, make you go crazy and what you do to get off that craziness – jump into the lakes to get the real feel of it.
5. Tso Kar
|Amazing Tso Kar Lake|
Map of Lakes in Ladakh
Map of Lakes in Ladakh in the state of Jammu and Kashmir