|The Incredible Indian Railways|
The Great Facts
2. Longest run by a train: Vivek Express from Dibrugarh to Kanyakumari travels a distance of 4273 km, making it the longest run in terms of total time and distance in Indian Railways.
Venkatanarasimharajuvaripeta on the Arakkonam-Renigunta section near Chennai.
|Impressive Lucknow Charbagh Railway Station|
|Longest Platform at Kharagpur|
|Oldest Working Locomotive of Fairy Queen Train|
7. First Railroad: The first railroad was constructed by two Indians (Jamsetjee Jeejeebhoy and Jaganath Shunkerseth) and not the British.
8. Labor Force: Indian Railways is the world’s ninth largest commercial or utility employer, by number of employees, with over 1.4 million employees. It is also the India’s largest employer.
9. Distance Covered: The total distance covered by the 14,300 trains daily on the Indian Railways daily equals three and half times the distance to the moon.
10. Longest Tunnel: The country’s longest tunnel is Pir Panjal Railway Tunnel 11.215 km that was completed in December 2012 in Jammu and Kashmir. The tunnel is yet to become a functional railway route. Karbude on Konkan Railways, which is 6.5 km in length previously held the title for the longest tunnel in India.
11. Passenger Load: The Indian Railways (IR) carry over 25 million passengers daily which is perhaps more than the entire population of Australia, New Zealand and Tasmania put together. Annually Indian Railways ferries 7.2 billion passengers (nearly 6x India’s current population).
12. Total Number of Trains: Indian Railways run as many as 19,000 trains every day. Some 12,000 trains are for passengers and 7,000 for freight.
13. Age: Indian Railways have had an operation span of nearly 170 years.
|Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus: CST in Mumbai|
|Longest Bridge: Vembanad Rail Bridge|
|Highest Bridge: The world’s highest rail bridge in Jammu and Kashmir|
|The luxury Trains in India|
PALACE ON WHEELS
THE GOLDEN CHARIOT
THE DECCAN ODYSSEY
ROYAL RAJASTHAN ON WHEELS
HERITAGE TRAINS IN INDIA
Get the taste of IndiaTraveling by train is the best way to experience the real India. A rail journey in India is one of the most memorable experiences which travel lovers would explore at any given time. The pleasure of being on a train and gazing at beautiful landscapes from the window seat is one of the most exciting experiences, at least I have experienced!
6 Top Ecstatic Train Journeys in India
Kalka to Shimla
When it comes to incredible and amazing rail route journey, the first route that comes to our mind is Kalka to Shimla rail route. The majestic toy train journey from Kalka to Shimla is a real treat to people who are passionate about rail journeys
Konkan Railways is another most incredible rail journey in India, which starts from Mumbai to Kerala. This rail route passes through the Konkan coast, making the journey, one of the most exciting and offers picturesque scenic beauty on the way. It passes through 1998 bridges and 92 tunnels!
India is a land of diversity. On one hand it offers lush green sceneries and on the other hand it offers the beauty of barren deserts. A train from Jaipur to Jaisalmer is another exciting journey where one can experience the flavor of barren deserts. The beauty of this route is that the view of the landscape keeps changing such as, after traveling a few hours from Jaipur, you can see the change of landscape from desert to pastoral landscapes, beautiful mud huts that are made up of red clay bricks and you can also enjoy the view of camels gazing in the flat desert
Darjeeling Himalayan Railway
This is one of the major attractions of Darjeeling. The route passes from New Jalpaiguri to Darjeeling. One can enjoy the transformation of climate and picturesque landscape while travelling to this route, as the rail passes through various landscapes along with various altitudes. It
Nilgiri Mountain Railway
The Nilgiri Mountain Railway is truly an incredible rail journey that starts from Mettupalayam, the plains of Tamil Nadu to Ooty, passing through Coonoor in between. It passes through 250 bridges and 16 tunnels. Throughout this journey you can enjoy the view of lush green hills, tea gardens and the tall girder bridges.
Goa-Vasco DA Gama to Londa
The wonderful train journey from Vasco DA Gama to Londa Junction is truly an amazing experience one can rejoice. Adding to it, you can experience the view of an attractive falls at Dudhsagar, on the way from Vasco DA Gama to Londa junction. Another most attractive view of the route is when the train moves through the Western Ghats, where the train accelerates its speed and passes through the woods. Also, you can enjoy the view of gigantic falls and red clay surroundings.
|The Holy Cow on a Railway Platform|
|Fingering To Enter|
1. Online travel booking through official portal irctc.co.in is terrible. Firstly, the site takes its own time to open and move. Secondly, even if you plan 1 month in advance, the chances are that you may get a wait-listed tickets. However, if you are prepared to pay Rs.500-1000 to an agent, you will get a confirmed booking. There is no respite for the senior citizen who wants a lower berth. There is no chance unless you plan 2 months in advance.2. The quality of food you get on the intermediate stations and even by the pantry car is poor.
3. There is always a nuisance of hawkers and beggars entering especially in general compartments and even sometimes in 2 and 3 Tier AC coaches. This irritating scene, with the additions of cows, dogs and monkeys you may observe on the station platforms also
4. Some of the stations are dirty with a stench. This, unfortunately, includes Delhi and New Delhi as well.
So, be prepared for a chaos.
Look for the incredibly brighter side of Indian Railways and enjoy your travel!